Car accident settlements do play a very important role in car accident cases. These settlements occur between two parties involved in a case when the dispute is not taken to the court for the trial.
In these statements, it is seen that the party that is at fault provides compensation to the other party that is injured. This usually had been seen and observed in the cases of settlement.
These settlements are seen to be very commonly happening when it comes to resolving car accident cases. There are, however, a number of factors on which the settlements depend and can change as well.
A car accident attorney in Houston TX can help you with such factors and their impact on the total compensation that a party receives.
Factors Affecting Settlement Amounts
The amount of car accident settlements can differ depending on a number of different factors. Let’s have a look.
Table of Contents
Liability and Comparative Negligence
The liability of an accident is linked to who is legally responsible for it. In a case where one party apparently has accountability for the accident, its liability is likely to be designated.
As far as the amount of settlement is concerned, comparative and contributory negligence can decide on the amount that is to be paid. The best one out of these two is considered to be the comparative one. This is because the amount of the compensation is decided depending on who is at fault and how much.
Types of Damages Occured
There are different types of damages that can occured for which the settlements are done. these are:
Lost Wages: The time that is spent in recovering all of the sarees and the rewards lost in this time is known as the lost wages.
Pain and Suffering: From the damages that are seen, there are damages that can only be felt. These can be in the form of anxiety, fear, and depression that is usually felt after an accident.
Medical Expenses: All of the costs that are related to medical, like the cost of treatment, the cost of medication after the treatment, and also the costs linked with the hospitals and their rooms and ER.
Future Damages: If the medical treatment is ongoing, it means that the cost is just not calculated yet to be total. So, the costs that will be occurring further during the ongoing treatment in the future do come under future damages.
Role of a Lawyer in Settlements
Now, when it comes to the role of insurance companies, an attorney does play a very important role here. Here is what he does:
- They are well aware of the laws, regulations, and precedents that have relevance to your case. This experience will guarantee that you are not left out of any possible compensation options. With that, they have a better understanding of personal injury law and how it can leave a legal impact on the case.
- When it comes to collecting evidence, law firms have the ability and knowledge to investigate this accident entirely. They are permitted to gather proofs, such as accident reports, witness statements, medical records, and expert testimony.
- Now, one of the most important roles of the attorneys when it comes to settling on an amount is that they discuss the case with the insurance company. Now, insurance companies always try to sell the first settlement to the client that is very low in amount. A skilled lawyer has the right negotiation skills to not settle for less and maximize the one that is offered by the insurers.
- The proper and correct evaluation of the damage for which the settlement will be done is calculated accurately by the lawyers. These damages can be economic and non-economic. These usually incur medical expenses, lost wages, and the pain and suffering with the emotional stress. So, a lawyer does that the best in order to get the client the needed justice.
- Legal protection is felt when you have a trained and skilled lawyer taking care of your case. This is due to the proper know-how of the case that leads to getting the best settlement amount for the clients. Such lawyers can help you stay away from giving statements that can backfire in the future and can be used against you.
In conclusion, the settlement in case of a car accident usually prevents the clients from taking their case to court. It does go in one party’s favor, where they are rewarded with a handsome amount that is paid for the damage that they have endured. A lawyer that is skillful can help you go through this phase very smoothly. So, make sure you hire the correct one and then get the maximum possible settlement that is favorable to the party that has suffered the damages.