South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada received six awards at a Cricket South Africa (CSA) awards in Sandton on Tuesday.
He is the first player to win six individual awards (both AB De Villiers and Hashim Amla had previously won five awards) and becomes youngest to have won South African Cricket’s premier accolade at the age of 21 years 62 days.
The other eight players to have received CSA’s most prestigious award are Jacques Kallis (2004 and 2011), Makhaya Ntini (2005 and 2006), Hashim Amla (2010 and 2013) and AB de Villiers (2014 and 2015) who have all won the award twice with the other previous winners being Shaun Pollock (2007), Dale Steyn (2008), Graeme Smith (2009), and Vernon Philander (2012).
Kagiso Rabada at Cricket South Africa awards ceremony 2016:
► Cricketer of the year
► Test cricketer of the year
► ODI cricketer of the year
► Players’ Player of the year
► Fans Player of the year
► T20 delivery of the year
He has played 20 ODI and picked up 37 wickets at an average of 21.65.
“Simply outstanding! Congratulations to Kagiso on recording one of the most remarkable debut years that any young cricketer has achieved in our history,” commented CSA Chief Executive, Haroon Lorgat.
“With injuries to our main fast bowlers during this past year, he has had to step up and lead the attack. How brilliantly has he done that!
“This may not have been the best year for the Proteas in a team sense but there have been some great individual performances, especially from newcomers to the side. Temba Bavuma and Stephen Cook, who are other award winners this evening plus Quinton de Kock have all recorded their maiden Test centuries.
“Our domestic cricket remains blessed with great talents and congratulations to all the winners in that category as well.
“I warmly congratulate all our winners, both at international and domestic level, and let us not forget to acknowledge our umpires, grounds staff and scorers, too.”
- Cricketer of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- Test cricketer of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- ODI cricketer of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- T20 Player of the year: Imran Tahir
- Players’ Player of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- Fans Player of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- T20 delivery of the year: Kagiso Rabada
- International newcomer of the year: Stephen Cook
- Women’s cricketer of the year: Dane van Niekerk
- First-class cricketer of the season: Heino Kuhn
- One-day cup cricketer of the season: Alviro Petersen
- Twenty-over player of the season: Albie Morkel
- Domestic players’ player of the season: Heino Kuhn
- Domestic newcomer of the year: Nicky van den Burgh
- Africa T20 Cup player of the year: Lungi Ngidi
- Coach of the year: Rob Walter
- CSA Fair Play award: Cobras
- SACA MVP: Dwaine Pretorius