The Jockey Box is a popular beverage dispensing system for various events. Regardless of what kind of party you plan to organize, this equipment will help keep the beer cold, delicious, and fragrant.
After reading our article, you will have a better understanding of the working principle of this equipment and will be able to choose the one that best meets your needs.
What Is a Jockey Box
Let’s figure out, what is a jockey box. It is a portable draft beer system commonly used for outdoor events.
Why is it called a jockey box?
At the beginning of the 19th century, professional jockeys wore a colorful uniform decorated with original buttons and stripes. Portable containers used to cool beverages at the races were also designed to look like jockeys. That’s where the term «jockey box» came from.
Beer jockey box consists of a cooler with a coil made of tubes immersed in ice water. As the beer passes through the coil, it is additionally cooled with ice water, keeping it always fresh and cold.
Cold Plate vs. Coil Jockey Boxes
Do you know who will win the battle jockey box cold plate vs coil?
Each of the two models has its advantages and disadvantages, so let’s look at each one separately.
A jockey box with a cold plate is a simplified option. It uses plates connected to the beer lines for cooling.
Ice is placed on top of the plates and completely fills the box. For cooling the drink must pass through these ice-cooled plates.
The main advantages of this model include:
- Ease of use
- Low cost
But there are also some disadvantages:
- The equipment is suitable only for small companies: you can not quickly cool a large batch of beer;
- You have to regularly drain the water from the ice melting.
Let’s move on to the next model involved in our battle cold plate vs coil jockey box.
Jockey boxes with a cooling coil are slightly more complex than the previous model. However, despite these design features, the equipment is universal, and here’s why:
- It provides fast and efficient cooling;
- It can be used for large outdoor events.
As to the cons, these include:
- Higher price;
- Need to periodically add ice, which should completely cover the coils of your device.
Choosing the Best Jockey Box for Your Needs
When choosing a jockey box for kegs you should consider:
- Material: Stainless steel or aluminum can be used to produce such equipment.
- Capacity: it is calculated based on how many drinks you plan to serve;
- Cooling method: Cold Plate or Coil;
- Portability: a priority should be given to equipment with ergonomic handles and wheels that facilitate transportation;
- Insulation: the thicker the insulation, the longer the drinks stay cold.
Hopefully, these tips will help you select the best jockey box!
Where to Buy Jockey Boxes in the United States?
Looking for a jockey box for sale? We recommend you look at the products of the popular brand UBC Group USA.
It is a leading manufacturer of beer equipment, with a wide range of various portable cooling systems, among which you will definitely find the one that will satisfy all your needs.