Li-Fi technology – An Advanced Method of Internet. A new techology called Li-fi is discovered by Estonian start-up Velmenni, in Tallinn. Li fi can access internet upto 1 Gbps, which is 100 times faster than Wi fi.
Li-Fi refers to visible light communications (VLC) technology, which delivers high-speed, bidirectional, networked mobile communications in a manner similar to Wi-Fi. It promises huge speed advantages, as well as more-secure communications and reduced device interference.
The new internet technology using light bulb to transmit the data at speed of 1 Gbps. According to the source, Laboratory tests have shown theoretical speeds of up to 224Gbps.
How does Li-Fi work? Li-Fi is a Visible Light Communications (VLC) system for data transmission. A simple VLC system has two qualifying components
1) at least one device with a photodiode able to receive light signals
2) a light source equipped with a signal processing unit.
• Wifi is great for general wireless coverage while Lifi is ideal for high density coverage in a confined region.
• It is believed that the technology can yield a speed more than 10 Gbps, allowing a HD film to be downloaded within 30 seconds.
• The light waves cannot penetrate walls.
• In 2012, this technology was demonstrated and it was detectable upto a distance of 10 meter.
“We are doing a few pilot projects within different industries where we can utilise the VLC (visible light communication) technology,” Deepak Solanki, CEO of Velmenni said.
“Currently we have designed a smart lighting solution for an industrial environment where the data communication is done through light. We are also doing a pilot project with a private client where we are setting up a Li-Fi network to access the internet in their office space.”
Well this new technology could reach the market in 4 to 5 years. Can this Li fi technology create new revolution in internet ?
Source : IBTimes